4.01.2008

An ode to nitrous oxide

I have a confession. I love nitrous oxide (laughing gas). I ask for it every time I go to the dentist and they have to do anything remotely invasive.

First I can feel the relaxation and numbness settling into my muscles.

Then that "adult soft rock" music on the radio starts to sound muddled, like I'm underwater.

When the assistant walks by, his footsteps sound like the rustling of a bird's wings.

And then I start to reflect on what I'm doing with my life. I wonder about what I need to be doing more and what I need to be doing less.

I need to study more. I need to exercise more. I need to eat less junk food. I need to eat more vegetables. I need to be friendlier.

It's strange, I do that every time I go under the gas.

One time they must've given me too much or something because I looked down at the mask and convinced myself that I was a duck. I wasn't truly hallucinating or anything, but I talked myself into believing that I was a duck and the face mask was my bill.

6 comments:

B.J. said...

Nice vivid recount of the experience. NO2 has quite a history, if you find time between school and savin lives, check it out. It was actually used as a party drug and social adventure WAY before it was used for surgical anesthesia. It wasn't until somebody found out that they had bruises all over themselves and couldn't remember getting them at the party that they thought: "hhmm, dentists might like this crap".

B.J. said...

oops, N20, not N02....you'd think for an anesthesia guy i'd get the letters and numbers in the right order...yeesh.

Lucid said...

Are you a tech or CRNA or anesthesiologist?

I'm not too surprised that people used it for recreation before they used it for surgery.

I can't imagine using it outside of a dentist's office. That'd be way too crazy to handle.

Anonymous said...

one time at the dentist they put me on that crap and my ass started to itch is that normal or was my dentist trying to tickle me???

JS said...

BJ is an RN and is in crna school. He is also the king at beer pong!
And a great enabler. I thought I might be able to answer your question faster.

B.J. said...

Yea, sorry Lucid, I missed your reply. I'm a 27 y/o CRNA student in Detroit, and frequently find myself getting into (and out of) trouble with Emily and Shepp. I haven't started blogging yet, but will let ya know if i do. Keep up the good work though, I love reading your blog.

B.J.