1.25.2009

Ethics

I'm taking "Intro to Ethics and Society" this semester, a philosophy course. After one day of class, and about 25 pages of reading, my brain already hurts in a good way. I'm trying to think of a way to sum up my general system of values and ethics. It's hard to define. I typed up this general manifesto a year or so ago, and it sums up some of my values, I suppose.
  • Altruism is the only answer to hostility. Passion is the only answer to apathy. Curiosity is the only answer to ignorance.
  • The harder I work now, the stronger I'll be when it counts - when people are relying on me or when I have no one to rely on but myself.
  • People are always worth trying to love, or at least understand.
  • Worry is a worthless disease.
  • Cowards say "fuck the system" and run from it. The brave integrate themselves and change it.
  • Teach all you can and learn all you can from every person and experience.
  • Embrace the undefinable as is.
  • "These things that I do... so that others may live."
I'm agnostic and spiritual. Therefore, as far as the basis for my values, I try to live my life in a way that in the least does not harm others and at most makes the world a little bit better. My justification is selfish. I feel the most fulfilled when I am benefiting others. It's really as simple as that.

I believe that if there is no higher power, no afterlife, no mystical force behind why we are here, my life will have been worth something if I have made some sort of positive impact, no matter how small. Am I even truly dead as long as my actions have made life better for someone who is still living?

If there is a higher power, and God knows if there is, I have faith that he/she/it will be just, and keep me in their good graces despite the fact that I do not go to church, did not save myself for marriage, and was never baptized.

I believe in the sanctity of life, but I do believe there are circumstances in which taking a life is justified. If a person is suffering, there is no end in sight, and they want to die, let them die for the love of God. It's selfish to keep them here when they would rather be elsewhere. I believe that certain people who have displayed complete disregard for the lives of others, who cause more harm than good by simply existing, deserve to die.

I see the world in existentialist terms. I do not believe there is one right path. Some speak of existentialist angst and the existential dilemma... "Why am I here?! What is my purpose?!". I say it's a waste of time. I value resourcefulness and believe that in absence of a God-given purpose, one should invent a purpose for themselves, whatever that purpose may be as long as it does not involve harming others. I cannot justify why human life has such inherent value. It's just there.

2 comments:

JS said...

good post.... JS

Anonymous said...

You have a mind that is full of deepth and stong thought. I appreciate your curiosity and insight into life.-turd