9.20.2008

Lovely Random Acts of Kindness

Late at night in the parking lot of my apartment building after a long hard night of mini-golf (which turned out to be more of a full contact hockey game) and a movie with the boys, I gathered all my crap from my car. There was a lot of crap to be taken: my big ol' pack, my big ol' boots, my purse, my SAR uniform and a book. I found places on my arms and in my hands for everything and started for home in a half-asleep cold-medicine daze.

I dumped everything on my bedroom floor so I could open my snail mail. Check my email. Check the news. The usual. After about an hour I realized that I should probably hang up my uniform, which I had carelessly tossed on the floor when I got home. When I went to do so I made horrifying realization. My uniform shirt was not there. I looked all over the house, but it was not there.

Because I distinctly remembered draping it over my arm at the car I immediately went to go retrace my steps to the car. The whole time I was freaking out... it sounds so weird but I am attached to that shirt. Not only was it sorta expensive, but I've had it since I joined the team and it's been on my back through everything. Not to mention the little green notebook I always keep in my breast pocket, that I've also had since I joined SAR, that is falling apart and only has about 20 pages left, but has a list of every phone number I could ever possibly need inside.

I made it to my car without finding my shirt. There's a bar on the 1st floor of the building so there's always people walking around the parking lot. I began to think someone had just picked it up... which really freaks me out. Now I'm angry, worried, and concerned... imagining some drunken moron doing god-knows-what wearing my shirt with my star of life patch and my notebook and my agency's patch and my nameplate on it. I'm sure any person who wears such a uniform can understand why I was so worked up over this possibilty.

Defeated, I started heading back home when I noticed something draped over this sign in a kinda-obscure kinda-not place right up against my apartment building. And of course, it was my uniform shirt. Whoever placed it there chose a perfect location.... somewhere that people just passing by wouldn't really see... but a person going into the apartment complex and looking aroudn would. They also took care to hide the patches from view, making it look like just any other plain ol shirt.

I really wish I could find the person who did this for me and thank them. We need more of that kind of anonymous courtesy in the world today.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Just surfin' the blogs and found you. I wanted to say Hi and nice Blog

Carolyn

.. said...

Make sure to pay it forward! :)