9.18.2008

Organisms

For me, the question has never been "why are we here?" As someone with agnostic and existential tendencies, the lack of an answer doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't need someone to hand me a purpose in life. I really don't give a damn why, if for any reason, we exist.

I'm much more curious about why life is so driven to make more of itself and persist. Yes, this question is somewhat related to the generic "why are we here?", but this is more a question of biology rather than philosophy.

At the most fundamental level our genes are pushing us to stay alive and reproduce. Thanks to genes our cells divide, specialize, grow, function, die. Which eventually guides us to eat, drink, fight, fuck, sleep, repeat. There's general bio in 3 sentences for you.

Life, at it's core, is a pretty simple concept. What blows my mind is that every organism from bacteria to human has the drive to live and make more life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I heard on the news, the discovery of like 150 more species of life in (i think it was) Australia. Pretty amazing!