6.10.2008

Balancing act

I am learning more and more that being an officer is a huge balancing act. On one hand, I need to build camaraderie, trust, and rapport with my underlings. On the other, I need to lay down the law and command respect. It's not an easy thing to do. They need to feel like they can come to me with everything from a great dirty joke to a very serious issue.

I had to lay down the law today on a probationary member. I may have scared him off a little bit, but sometimes I just have to take care of business. You see, this probie's uniform looked like utter shit. You would think that by now he would've learned how to tuck in a freaking shirt. Hell, before I joined the team I had never tucked in a shirt and I learned pretty fast how to do so all by myself just like a big girl. But no, this kid has his pants sagging down his ass and his shirt all muffin-topped spilling out over his belt.

I told him over the weekend... pull up your pants and tuck in your shirt. Others told him the same thing over the weekend. Today, before I snapped, at least 3 different people had told him politely on different occasions to fix his uniform, to no avail. So after I told him for the fourth time today and he rolled his eyes and ignored me as he walked out the door, I lost it.

"SMITH. Stop," I said in my I-mean-business-voice. He paused in the doorway and looked a little scared.

I pushed my own pants down to the delinquent-teenager-sag position and pulled my shirt out all funny so my uniform looked as crappy as his did, "This is not how you wear a uniform Smith." His fellow probie buddies watched on, wide-eyed.

I grabbed him by the waist band of his pants, pulled them up over his hips to the proper position, and tucked his shirt in bit by bit as I turned him in a circle. "This is how you wear a uniform. Understood?" I said firmly as I fixed my own uniform.

"Yes Lieutenant," he said before cowering all the way out the door.

You know what though? His uniform looked good the rest of the day. Maybe I sound anal about the whole thing, but I'm really concerned about professionalism. I sure as hell wouldn't want a bunch of punk-ass looking kids that look like they just rolled out of bed trying to save my life. It does make a difference, I don't care what anyone says.

We have 2 more days of intensive training for probationary members. We'll have to see if that probie will revert back to his sloppy uniform ways. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Adam - K3CAN said...

Yeah.

An organization I am in performs search and rescue as one of our missions.
The uniforms of my fellow members are an issue I need to constantly address.
We do this by performing military-styled inspections before most training.

However, the people who are really into the SAR aspect think that the uniforms they wear aren't important. They explain it with lines like "it's our skills that save lives, not our clothes".
I see their point, but I believe that a professional image is still important.

I think it's especially important if we're in a position of authority. I've spoken to police officers about it, and they agree that your first impression can make a significant difference in the outcome of a conflict.