6.09.2008

Basic 1

This weekend's Basic Training was excellent.

There are several standouts among the probationary members that totally blew me away with their enthusiasm, work ethic and endurance. There are others that clearly will not last much longer. But in general, I have to give this probationary class mad props for the way they encourage each other and pass on an infective positive attitude to each other. We asked them push their physical and mental limits VERY hard, and when it comes down to it, attitude matters almost as much as physical ability.

This training was also a triumph for me. Last year at Basic 1 I was sick. Out of shape. Tired. Unprepared. I totally sucked and even missed a few evolutions because I was so messed up. Nobody thought I would make it through the weekend, never mind through the second weekend of basic training. Nobody thought I'd be on the team for much longer.

This year I was ready... in better shape, prepared, healthy, and excited. I did much better and totally confirmed to myself that yes, I can do it. It's amazing what a difference a year makes.

Now I'm counting down the days til Basic 2!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats great! Enjoy Basics 2 kido

Justin said...

It says a lot more when someone will keep coming back when it sucks than it does when its easy for them.... way to stick it out back in the day!