4.12.2008

Neonate-in-the-pants and intubation adventures

I just have to share this story.

A paramedic was telling me about this "imminent delivery" he ran a while back. It took them a while to get there, and when they did it seemed like the delivery was not-so-imminent. The woman was relaxed and told them that she had one contraction several hours ago. No contractions since and her water hadn't broken. (Not sure why 911 was called).

So they started walking her out to the ambulance when she said she had another contraction. And then her water broke.

So they get her in the ambulance and then they hear a "waaaah". Both of the medics think the other is just screwing around. Nuh uh. That was real. But where's the baby? One of the medic feels for crowning over the clothes, but there's nothing.

The baby was in the leg of the woman's black stretchy pants. They cut him out and he was alright. :)

On another note, although I know I'm not supposed to do it, today I learned how to intubate (on a dummy). It was really fun. I don't know why. It's like a little treasure hunt for the cords. Just dig around a little until you find 'em. I've been told that it's usually nowhere near as easy or fun on a real person who's sick enough to warrant an ET tube. :(

PS: first ambulance ride-along tomorrow. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

JS said...

Don't get in the ambulance.... Once you go in you can never get out. Like me. Good luck. Shepp