4.02.2008

Wide-eyed recruits

Tonight was the first informational meeting for prospective members of my SAR team and their parents (we're the only search and rescue team in the nation manned by youth).

They were all so quiet and reserved. They didn't speak up much. One kid was so tiny. I was glad when another short kid showed up a little later, because I knew he would at least have a good partner on the litter.

I gave a powerpoint to the group, which was thankfully large. I felt good... I noticed that my public speaking skills have been improving, and the group (especially the parents) were receptive to my wisecracks.

It hit me afterwards that it was just a year ago that I was in the audience for this same exact meeting. I was too shy to really talk to anyone, but I couldn't wait to get started.

I knew that my time on the team absolutely changed my life and pushed me through personal growth freakishly fast but it really hit me tonight. I'm more confident than I was a year ago. I'm tougher than I was a year ago. I'm more knowledgeable than I was a year ago.

I'm glad that I'm a sergeant while the new class is coming through.... well I kinda hope to continue to be one for a while. I'm excited to take some probies under my wing. There's a good chance, however, that once the new class comes in I'll be promoted to lieutenant. Promotion is great and all, but I won't be as connected to the probies because I won't be their first link in the chain of command.

1 comment:

JS said...

I know how you feel. This last year while teaching at the fire academy I could not believe how young the canidates where. I remember thinking I wasn't that young when I went to the academy.... But I was. Funny how time goes by. Shepp