1.22.2008

the 5 medical terms that get stuck in my head the most

I have pseudo-OCD brought on by my medication (Adderall) so sometimes I get words stuck in my head. These words are always medical terms, and in any given day one will be playing in my brain over and over again like some sick, meaningless mantra. Here are the three words that seem to get stuck in my head the most often:

1. Sternocleidomastoid
I genuinely love this word. I don't know why, but it literally makes me smile. The good thing is that I will never ever forget where this muscle is. The bad thing is that I can't remember any other muscles.

2. Decubitus ulcer
This one's not too weird... until you realize it's just a fancy way of saying "bedsore"

3. Necrotizing Fasciitis
Synonymous with "bad fucking day" and also known as an infection of flesh-eating bacteria, necrotizing fasciitis is the only term that replays in my head that actually represents something bad-ass.

4. Oogenesis
The process of the creation of ova (eggs... female sex cells). I have to thank Ms. Moore, the best biology teacher in the world for this one, and for calling all things microscopic and living "wee beasties"

5. Atelectasis
Sounds like: an awesome metal band, a violent video game, an action movie with gaudy special effects, an edgy new company
Really is: a collapsed lung. Yawn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

testicular torsion was always my fav.
( Ya, I'm female)