1.13.2008

crash rescue

This morning we had our aircraft crash rescue training. It went pretty well... there was good turn-out, the weather was nice and I'm being to see the strength and unity of the team making significant strides, which is always encouraging.

This was my second or third time leading a team... two members and I line-searched the side of the road. The other team was the find team - there were 4 pts: 1 black, 1 green and 2 yellows that became reds pretty quickly. I stayed behind with the less severe of the yellow/reds while the team carried out the most critical pt (in reality I sat with Ashley for over an hour of great, out-of-scenario, deep conversation in the mountain sun).

When they came back, Ashley was my pt. We got her out of there super fast. On-scene time was about 10 minutes (even with difficult packaging - she needed to be backboarded from a sitting position against a tree and had an open tib/fib and a high suspicion of c-spine injury) about 30 for transport in the thompson in snow for about mile.

I have to say, this training definitely boosted my confidence as a leader. I was basically thrown into the position of sergeant and although I was definitely ready for it, it was a little bit overwhelming at first. Now I've collected myself and I feel ready to tackle anything.

No comments: