1.14.2008

hmmm....

Had a root canal today and was given Vicodin. Why does it always give me reoccurring hiccups? I've been given it a few times before for dental stuff, after bumping my sciatic nerve in a fall, after a car crash, etc... and every single freakin' time it gives me the hiccups. Anyone have an explanation?

On a side note... I actually had a good experience with an insurance company recently. In October my SAR team was en route to a call in a member's personal vehicle following another member's vehicle. Both cars were loaded with heavy packs and 5 bodies each, speed was about 30 MPH... some idiot ran into the street, first vehicle screeched to a stop, the brakes of the car I was riding shotgun in failed and kaboom. Airbags deployed, both cars were totaled, one member was taken to the hospital VIA ambulance because of c-spine concerns, and everyone else went to the ER just to be safe.

Everyone was fine except for one concussion and one broken clavicle (interestingly, that injury was caused by the energy of the seatbelt being focused onto a shoulder radio mic). I've had the knees of an old woman since I was 10 y/o and they hit the dash pretty good in the crash so there were some concerns, but the x-rays were normal except for the pre-existing disease and some additional swelling and contusions.

I just want to give a round of applause to USAA insurance. Everything was handled promptly and politely, everyone's medical bills were taken care of entirely and we each received some settlement cash (that desperately-needed $500 is going to my tuition). I really did not expect an insurance company to actually do the right thing.

PS
: this accident could've been much worse, but everyone was wearing their seatbelts. I know for a fact that my head would've had a nice meeting with the windshield had I not been strapped in, and I would've had some sort of significant head injury. SO WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. ALWAYS.

PSS: the person we were on our way to search for was found safe while we were still on the scene of the crash.

No comments: